The 2 Guyz On Marketing (aka 2 Guys On Marketing) are heading off to the L.A. Chargers home pre-season opener this weeking. Fresh from their move, how will they do…from a marketing standpoint?
Let’s loo at 2 of the 9 P’s (from Larry Steven Londre’s 9 P’s of Marketing), the Product and Place, for the NFL in Los Angeles. The ultimate question is: Will a Los Angeles Chargers game at StubHub be better in Carson than a Los Angeles Rams game at the Coliseum?
- Chargers play in a stadium with only 27K seats, versus 80K at Coliseum
- There will be more video boards than at the Coliseum.
- StubHub Stadium has a $8 million dollar European-style cloth or fabric roof at Carson
- Chargers may have a better season. They were 5-11 last year. Rams were 4-12. The Rams were 1-7 at home last year.
- The StubHub’s football seating capacity will be less than half of every other NFL Stadium
- The 2 Guyz on Marketing will see on Sunday, but the parking may be better than around the Coliseum
- The seats will be closer to the game. It will be two years until the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum is upgraded. StubHub has already been upgraded.
- There are 43 luxury boxes. The Coliseum has zero.
- The restrooms or pottys are movie star versus construction sites. The restrooms at the Coliseum are barely adequate.
- The Rams play the Dallas Cowboys tomorrow. We’ll know the score.
- The Chargers play the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday. The Seahawks will be a better opponent than the Cowboys.
Look for a post on marketing at NFL games in the very near future!